Monday, July 22, 2013

[CNG] Digest Number 2882

1 New Message

Digest #2882
1a
Re: Thinking of career training at 50 by "Rita Witherly" rwitherly

Message

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:26 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Rita Witherly" rwitherly

Bobbi,
First, good for you for seeing the writing on the wall and taking action
now. Most don't.
Second, marketing research is not a highly paid field, in comparison to
others...my recommendation would be to look at salary.com to see what it
pays in your location. Just make sure that you are looking at the bottom of
the salary curve as I don't believe this information has been updated since
the recession and with the number of people still looking for jobs....most
companies pay what they have to, not for all the skills the potential
employee holds.

Second if you want analysis look into Lean Six Sigma certifications, my
company does them and no matter the recession...companies are always
looking for these skills. Lastly we use a on-line simulation that allows
you to pick up the statistics easily and on your timeline. It is the only
way we teach this stats now.

Third, I might also recommend you put your skill set into career builder
and Monster to see what job titles come up and then run those job titles
through salary.com to open up possibilities for job titles you may not have
even considered.

Good luck....it may see scary at times, but job transition is an incredible
learning opportunity for you. You started your job some time ago and I am
sure it changed and there were parts of it you loved and parts you did not.
Well this is a chance for you to decide what you want from a job, from a
culture....and to thoughtfully address it. It can allow you to be in
control so you thoughtfully create criteria you want the job to have.

Have a marvelous day,

Rita Witherly
Managing Partner
MoZen Inc.

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 8:54 PM, BobbiW <sapphiresmom6@yahoo.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Hi all:
>
> I'm new to the list. I'm kind of looking for some advice based on recent
> circumstances.
>
> There was a meeting where I work. We are a specialized academic
> institution and enrollment is down. While I'm still employed now, there was
> some talk about cut-backs. The news doesn't look good, and I'm starting to
> see the writing on the wall, so to speak.
>
> I have been a librarian for the last 15 years here. I love my job, but I'm
> afraid my experience has become too specialized to be marketable in case I
> am forced to look for another job. I'm thinking of taking some courses in
> statistics and market research as that field is one where I could use my
> librarian research skills and it seems to have a good job outlook. The
> problem is that I haven't looked at a statistics book for about 30 years.
> I'm afraid my brain may be fried.
>
> Anyhow, I was wondering if any of you experienced similar misgivings.
> Also, if anyone has advice on the marketing research field, that would be
> great as well.
>
> I was hoping I would be counting the days until retirement at this point
> in my life, but that's not going to happen for awhile. I just want to be
> able to pay my mortgage and other expenses, and maybe take a decent
> vacation now and then.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Bobbi
>
>
>
GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE
Put your Career Networking Group network to work ...
Join the CNG LinkedIn Group.
[Link is on the CNG Yahoo! Group home page.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter / newyorkitjobs

Twitter / NYC_Tech_Jobs

Followers

Blog Archive