Friday, July 24, 2009

[itroundtable] Fwd Liz Ryan Article: LinkedIn Introductions: Protocol for a 3rd degree connection

 


--- In asklizryan@yahoogroups.com, Sherri Henkin <sherrilhenkin@...> wrote:

On LinkedIn, I wanted an introduction to someone who was a 3rd degree
connection. I used the LI intro process to request one of my 1st degree
connections go through their connection to get to my "goal person."
According to the process "time line," the connections are complete.

What is the protocol for me contacting that 3rd degree connection? Do I
simply send the 3rd degree person a new invite? Do I wait for the 3rd degree
person to email me? etc. Thanks!

Sherri Henkin


-------------- REPLY FROM LIZ-----------------------------------


Hi Sherri!

One of the aspects of LinkedIn that can be confusing is the distinction between "contact" and "connection." In the situation you've described, you are seeking contact with the third-degree person. The "Get Introduced Via a Connection" link that you used helps one LI user to establish contact with another one. A connection is very different. When we send a person a LinkedIn invitation, we're asking him or her to officially join our network. So, in your situation, I wouldn't send this person a connection invitation. You don't know him or her yet. Most of the contact request has already worked - we just need to cover that critical last ten yards!

Since two out of the three essential links in the chain have been forged successfully (your first-degree person reached the second-degree person, and the second-degree person reached out successfully to the third-degree person) I'd wait a few days for your 'target' person to get back to you. If a week goes by and that hasn't happened, I would pick up the phone and call him or her via the switchboard at his or her office. You can say "Hi Stan, do you have a minute? I sent a LinkedIn contact request and I saw that you accepted that - thanks so much - and wondered if I could ask you a quick question."

Good luck!

Cheers --

Liz

--- End forwarded message ---



__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Y! Groups blog

The place to go

to stay informed

on Groups news!

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter / newyorkitjobs

Twitter / NYC_Tech_Jobs

Followers

Blog Archive